This productivity method is focused on beating procrastination by taking the focus off of each individual performance and putting the emphasis on the process instead.
The method was created by
About the method, Seinfeld said:
After a few days you’ll have a chain. Just keep at it and the chain will grow longer every day. You’ll like seeing that chain, especially when you get a few weeks under your belt. Your only job next is to not break the chain.
Why does it work?
- Helps beat procrastination
- Simple enough to maintain
- Focuses on getting things done
How does the Seinfeld Calendar work?
- Pick an important task that you need to complete tomorrow.
- Once you've finished the task mark that day with an "X."
- Try not to have a day where nothing gets done.
- Do not break the streak for more than 1 day at a time.
Jane Doe is a marketing professional and she needs to come up with campaign ideas everyday as part of her full-time job.
Hence, she sets up a recurring task called "Coming up with campaign ideas" on her calendar.
Everyday that she works on that task and finishes it, she marks the task as completed.
Over a couple of weeks, she has built a streak that she doesn't want to break.
One fine day, an urgent presentation comes up and she has no option but to break the streak, so she does.
However, she doesn't break the streak for more than a single day at a time, so she gets back to the task the next day and a new streak begins.